Austin, I Love You
Celebrating one year in Austin soon.
Some of my favorite memories and moments and things here (in no particular order):
- Losing my iPhone and bank card in a kayaking accident on Town Lake, surviving off of canned corn, applesauce, and whatever was in my pantry for a few days (aside from the times friends thoughtfully paid for my food at restaurants).
- Taking salsa classes, which is something I never thought I would find myself doing, deeming myself “worst dancer of all time” only to occasionally pick up a compliment or two when I tried my hand at it, even when I wasn’t particularly great.
- The hill going up to my apartment on South Congress, which every single person who has ever biked to my apartment says is the biggest bitch of a hill, and then within a few weeks of doing it on repeat, decides it’s actually the greatest workout ever.
- Riding down that same hill at full speed at 3AM. Weeeee.
- Discovering the Baylor Street Art Wall in all of its amazing artsy glory and hanging out there and watching some of the local artists contribute to it, picking their brains, and finding out where they come from and their history in getting to where they are.
- Any time I have ever ordered 9 glasses of water using the iPad system at Lucky Robot.
- The time that I was at Jo’s Coffee on South Congress with Ethan and a guy showed up on rollerblades and did like 5 laps around the parking lot while blaring Phil Collins on a boombox.
- Unexpectedly meeting my Diana after a failed photographers Meetup group and her inviting me, out of the blue, to hang out and share life stories at Halcyon.
- All the games of Fluxx.
- The Women Who Code events, meeting other women who actually are real developers, not just hobbyists who make WordPress themes for fun.
- Seeing Carrie Brownstein at Curras with Aaron and discovering she is the nicest person ever.
- Wednesday afternoons at Jo’s with my friend Brandt, practicing sign language, accidentally telling him that my cat died because she was “orange” instead of “old,” and every time I accidentally signed the word “fuck” [as a verb] instead of “meet.”
- When Andre and Luka came to visit for SXSW and woke up one morning to find my entire bathroom covered in crackers and my kitchen counter covered in Lunchables.
- The time Joel FourSquare stalked me.
- Jumping on a trampoline on top of a mountain at sunset with Krishna, Josh, and James.
- Discovering UT’s turtle pond.
- Skydiving for the first time ever.
- Alamo Ritz’s Big Lebowski quote-a-long, which involved White Russians, inflatable baseball bats, and glow sticks. Stealing all the glow sticks from the theater afterwards and having people offer to buy them from me at Mooseknuckle next door.
- Fake tats and Zoltar fortunes at Pinballz Arcade
- The funny old man who would skinnydip in the swimming pool in the first place I lived in here and his ridiculous Christmas lights.