Let’s explore the highly existential question of “Who is Aimee?”
Who I am professionally:
I’m a senior software engineer with a voracious and insatiable appetite for learning and creative pursuits. I currently work for Treehouse as a senior developer and formerly was a lead engineer for DeviantArt. I enjoy working on products that bring joy to other people’s lives and have a deep appreciation for personal humility.
On a day-by-day basis, I work frequently and quite eagerly as a Rubyist, but also enjoy working with functional programming languages like Elixir.
Things that make me happy as a developer:
- Conscientious refactoring without over-engineering or solving a problem that doesn’t exist.
- Debugging extremely obscure bugs that only affect fringe users (and resolving said bugs).
- Coming across a really nasty, complex class and fixing the vast majority of its code smells.
Things that bum me out as a developer:
- Undocumented project requirements.
- Tech debt that never gets revisited.
- Decision-making that isn’t backed by well-researched motivation.
- Reactionary behavior.
- Any kind of work that works against my sense of personal ethics or desires to treat other human beings with the fairness and respect that I feel they deserve.
Who I am off the cuff and personally:
- I have spent some portion of my life as a technomad. This means I have spent a notable amount of time as a vagrant exploring the globe while also working as as a developer/engineer/geek.
- According to Myers-Briggs, I am an ENTP. Most people question the “E” and I don’t blame them, because depending on the crowd I am running with, I have the potential to be quite the quiet little lady.
- I am in the process, with some help from my fiancee Joel, of pair-programming the pull request that will deploy my first child in 2017 😀
- I am a gigantic xenolinguophile. I fluently speak English, Spanish, and American Sign Language.
- I’m almost fluent in Esperanto, but I have a hard time making that claim with an artificial language where I feel no one is truly fluent.
- I ♥ olympic weightlifting and Crossfit.
- A long time ago, when I was younger and dumber, I was a practicing Quaker for about… 6 months. Then I realized it wasn’t going to work out, despite how much I liked the weekly hour of group meditation, because of the silly issue of me being an atheist.
- I grew up in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. My high school prom was seriously held in a pyramid-shaped Hard Rock Cafe.
- I generally love writing non-fiction and essay-writing. Some of my biggest influences are Henry Rollins and David Sedaris. I’ve also had the great fortune of being in the same room with both (not at the same time).
- I have a degree in English, which means I’m particularly anal about grammar, can actually parse a sentence using one of those antiquated tree structures, and have an unwavering love for the Oxford comma.
- I am the very definition of the D&D chaotic neutral alignment. These days I’m probably somewhere between neutral and good, but I generally love creating chaos for little or no reason.